Monday, March 14, 2011

Pain

While transplanting out the tomatoes, I pulled a muscle in my left leg. Able to walk and function okay, long as I don't overdo it. So, last night I took a shift in the ER. Big mistake.

First, the ER was unbelievably busy. Had some rather sick people for some reason. Much higher than usual acuity. Then there was a nurse who was orienting, though seemed to be an experienced nurse. That made three nurses for 12 beds, right? Wrong. The nurse orienting had 2 beds. Leaves 5 each for me and the other nurse, right? Wrong. She had 4 beds, I had 6 beds. All night. As a rule, they all remained full, also. Charge nurse's idea of "helping out" was discharging a patient so she could put another patient in that bed faster. My side tends to get the more critical patients because the rooms are more visible. It was enough of a consistent imbalance that the secretary said something to me about it.

By this morning, felt like my leg was about to fall off.

Oh, well. I'm guessing something else will be pushed off on my head soon. Seems to be in the air lately. Testosterone, aggression, hate, need, drama and games. People suck.

On a more positive note, most of the tomato plants are still doing well, if not better than before. I seem to have lost one small one, unless I miscounted this morning. Not being OCD, just keeping track for further planting, if required. Temps went to lower 30's last night.

Noted a couple of strawberry plants greening up and some flower seeds sprouting this weekend. Waiting to see some peas and green beans peeking through but they can be fairly slow to show and then take off like green rockets.

The dark green color of what I can see so far tells me there's enough N in the soil. Mostly a matter of light and heat now.

No comments:

Post a Comment