Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A day off

I'm giving myself a day off. Well, of course that doesn't include work tonight, should that materialize. Just taking a day off (for now) from house and yard work. Place is kind of a mess and I need to build the new mailbox pillar but taking a day off from all of it is rare for me. But the way I tend to think of things is that, in the end, we do not think nearly as much about what we did as much as what we wished we had done. I could live 5 lifetimes and probably never do everything I'd like to do. Even at 49 years old this April, I still have a passion for life and wish I could do so much more than my resources allow.

I did go get coffee, cigarettes (yeah, still haven't managed to quit) and cabbage and carrots for the bunnies.

Came back and watched a DVD from Mantis tillers. If money allows, I'd like to get one of those later this year. Never heard a bad thing about them and they're much smaller and less expensive than larger ones. Read a commendation from one person who said they'd been using the same Mantis for 16 years. Fantastic warranty and blades are guaranteed for life. Haven't read anything comparable of any other tillers. But I have a lot of other things to consider before I can seriously look at buying one. Would be nice to get one before fall. While I got lots of good exercise in the garden over the winter, I don't really want to do that much work again. Plus, some of the soil is too hard to dig manually. If I do get a tiller, that will be the section which will be revised this fall.

Something I forgot to mention yesterday was that I took a couple of cuttings from a cherry tree in the yard of an abandoned house. This is my first attempt at growing a tree from a cutting. So I took a couple of healthy looking branches, stripped a few inches of bark and planted them in buckets of damp soil. Today, they still look good and one has a couple of new buds on it. I'm not that big on cherries but would like some flowering trees in the yard. Promised my daughter I would get some at some point. These are attractive and the only city I've seen with more cherry trees is DC. So they grow well here.

I did plant some more lettuce seeds this morningz mostly iceberg but also two kinds of leaf lettuce. Romaine is good but a bit tough and bitter to me, so want to try some other types. If I don't like it, the bunnies should still love it.

Time for a nap and hope for work tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment