Friday, March 11, 2011

Rethinking

Went ahead and moved nearly everything outside which was inside. Not setting anything in the ground yet. Needs to harden off first. Sun is rather harsh today. Can feel not just spring but summer in the air already.

Some of the plants looked rather pale inside but turned out that was mostly the lighting. Most were very green in sunlight. Some showed stress after just a short while in the sun. Currently have them all grouped around the picnic table, so I put up the patio umbrella. So they're getting sun but not too much.

I put up one row of supports for tomatoes with PVC and cage fencing, 5 ft tall. Only had enough for one row. Planning on 4 rows, so that's a problem. Other rows may have to be staked or may have to build supports from PVC and/or wood. I would prefer to build supports in whole rows, so I can add support to pepper plants if they need it. And just in case the dog gets in the garden, it discourages her from running over the middle of the rows. The cage wire will stop her. The plastic poultry fencing discourages her but she could probably tear it down if determined.

So, guess I'll go take stock of what I have available and build what I can with it. Maybe PVC posts with wood crossbeams, painted white for consistency of appearance. Using PVC as posts will let me use shorter lengths for now and raise them higher if needed later. Drill holes and use nylon ties to keep the crossbeams in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment