Friday, March 11, 2011

Tomato supports and adobe mud

Got the bases of the tomato supports built. Made them with all PVC. They're not very tall yet but I have enough materials to raise them a bit taller when needed. No drilling, just used nylon ties but may have to do some revisions later if the ties don't hold the weight and slip or if they degrade too much in the sun. Still happy to have them up.

All the plants I took out made it through the day with no major sun damage. Some even look a bit perkier. Think I should be able to transplant the tomatoes into the ground sooner than expected but still keeping an eye on the weather forecast. Now that supports are built, they'll take the weight if I have to hang plastic sheeting for cold protection.

Talked to the guys doing the paving and they gave me a truckload of dirt to make adobes with. Dumped it right in the driveway, like I asked. Have at least enough for 300-400 bricks. And until the bricks are made, daughter can play on the dirt pile if she wants to.

Even with the mulch, I keep having to water lightly at least twice a day for the shallow seeds, like flowers, lettuce and carrots. Otherwise they'll never take. Air is so dry, with humidity under 20%, that surface soil dries in a really short time. Once things start growing and taking root, I can back off.

Not much going on tonight. Just me, TV and dishes. Got a good amount done today. Really happy with the shape the garden is taking.

No comments:

Post a Comment