Friday, March 4, 2011

Errands

Not much sleep today but got up and ran my errands. Get to bed early tonight.

So, avoided overdraft. Good things about the new agency is that they do pay daily and they deposit the money to a debit card they issued me. Bad part is that it can take as late as 6 PM for it to be deposited. So, had to run to the bank, withdraw from my pay card and deposit to checking. Had a check pending to the gas company that had to be covered. Made it but it was a little close.

Got a new flushing mechanism this morning. The toilet had been acting up and wouldn't flush properly again. It was because of sediment in the pipes. The sediment is only in the pipes running to the toilet because it doesn't show up in the drinking water. The old flush mechanism had passages inside which were too small and I couldn't take it apart. So, replaced the mechanism with a more basic model which has larger water passages and should be less of a problem. Working properly now. However, the new mechanism is slightly taller than the old one and the reservoir lid weighs down on it. Had to leave the lid off until I find a way to raise the height by 1/4-1/2 inch securely.

For once, got the dishes done on Fri night. Since Thur nights through Fri days have been much the same and I've been really tired, so leaving the dishes until Sat mornings. Didn't do that tonight.

Cold front blew in today. Not really so cold but really windy. The winds blew the entire new fence over. So far, it looks like it did some good with the dog's behavior. She hasn't been digging in the garden but the fence will remain up for a while just for reinforcement. That is, when the wind doesn't blow it down.

Got some more seeds today. Mostly carrots. Can't be sure the inexpensive seeds will be available later, so thought it would be a good idea to have enough seeds for the whole season. With carrots and companion planting, it doesn't require a lot of seeds. One packet has enough seeds for up to two full rows. Also got some red salvia which I've read is a form of either sage or mint. If closer to sage, should grow well here. Have total of 3 kinds of spinach seeds, two of which claim to be long standing. I'll compare and see which one/s grow and taste best. Plus total three kinds each of watermelon and cucumbers. I don't think any are hybrids, so whichever kinds grows best I can save the seeds for next year.

Historically I've bought a lot of groceries in plastic jars for price reasons. They can have some reuse value. Lately, the price difference has narrowed a bit and glass has much better reuse value. So I've been buying more items in glass jars. Should come in handy for pickles, salsa and other things at a later date. If my income remains stable enough and the garden cuts my grocery bill, I can buy canning jars a little at a time. Canning will save more money during fall and winter months. Though I will have to figure out how to store large amounts of jars.

It's after 10 PM. Think I'll get to bed after the weather report.

No comments:

Post a Comment