Sunday, March 27, 2011

More darkness wanted

I now have 8 solar garden lights in the back yard and plan on getting more over time. Atmosphere I want to achieve is darkness at night except for those lights within the perimeter of my yard. Relaxing, contrasting between the lights, darkness and surrounded by the garden and picnic table.

Big problem with achieving that atmosphere now is that there are conflicting light sources.

One is minor and may not be too bad. Copper colored lights in the parking lot of the church. But they're focused away from my yard and only cause minimal reflective light. I'm planning on doing something to block view through the gate, which will block most of the light once done.

The more invasive light source is a large halogen light on the property of the dance studio. It's right by the fence and effectively lights up my whole yard. The light comes through my back windows. First few months I was here much of the light was blocked by bamboo. Then I took the bamboo down. (No, not sorry I did that.) So I need to come up with some kind of decorative way to obstruct the light coming from there. Thinking of making some kind of fiberglass sculpture for the purpose. Won't be for a while. Has to be strong enough to stand up to the wind and curved to block the most light. Existing trees help a little but not much.

May sound like nothing much but the current lighting is not relaxing at all. Ever sit under a halogen light? Rather harsh and doesn't mix well with a garden at all. I also tend to wonder if it interferes with plant growth. Plants need cycles of light and darkness to grow best. This light disrupts that cycle.

I put together the circular flower bed at the far end of the garden today. Just black plastic edging with wooden stakes. Filled it with potting soil left from previous plantings but need more. Soil under it is all clay. May be able to use some soil from the back corner and mix in mulch to keep it loose. Finish it tomorrow.

The ex and her bf are thinking of planting grass in their back yard. Ex said bf may rent a tiller for the project. I told her how much that costs and proposed going in with me on buying a Mantis. Gave her the DVD, told her if they wanted to pay me the same as renting a tiller for two days that I could get a Mantis and they could use it anytime they want in the future. May not be something they use much but their place is rented, so if they decide to move anytime later they'd probably want to use it again. Hell, if they paid me that much I would do the tilling for them!

Think I'll get to bed after the news. Call the agency about the contract at the AF base tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment