Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Frost covers

Wind is much calmer today. I could not have put up cold covers for the last few days by myself because the wind would have first ripped the plastic right from my hands and then likely blown down anything I put up.

Still, I put up some covers a little while ago. Not glamorous and not completely stable but should work for light frost. I just draped and fixed some translucent plastic sheeting over the supports and anchored them at the bottom with lanscape staples. It should unless the wind starts gusting over 50 mph again. In that case, only a permanent structure would help. The winds here are known to blow roofs off of buildings.

Long as they hold, they should also help retain moisture. May help the direct seeded peppers start growing.

Went ahead and replaced the plastic sheeting over the area by the fence and over the main flower bed. See if it helps speed things up in those spots and protect whatever is already there survive. Possible frost again tonight.

Surprisingly, the strawberry plants have no visible damage. Good sign.

Basil is growing. That was fast! Kind of migrated downhil from where I planted it. I'll wait a while and transplant it back uphill.

No sign of peas yet. Those and broccoli are frustrating, since they do best in cool weather. By late April or early May the temp will shoot up beyond where they produce anything. Can try broccoli under the trees with the spinach. If I don't get a decent crop just have to give up on them until the solarium is built. Not great crops for this environment.

Also since wind calmed down, I took a spray bottle of weed killer out and attacked the weeds coming up. Had some small ones toward the back of the yard and dandelions in the front. I'm guessing some of the vinegar has worn off at the surface. The ones which don't like acidity only have shallow roots and remain small and weak looking. Some areas in the yard which haven't been worked yet can be treated again heavily. Not much grows there yet but the weeds.

No word of any work yet tonight. Grr.

No comments:

Post a Comment