Thursday, March 31, 2011

Here's hoping

I'm hoping to see some accelerated growth over the next few days. Temps have been dropping into upper 30's to low 40's at night. Forecast now calls for several warm days and fairly warm nights with temps remaining in mid-40's and even above 50.

Smaller plants are continuing to do well and some of the green beans may be able to start climbing in a couple of weeks. I see more strawberry plants peeking through the mulch but then they kind of remain in stasis. That's okay, they're probably developing new roots. No doubt of a good onion and garlic harvest.

Most of the tomato plants look really weak or dead. Won't pull them up until I'm sure they won't recover from it. If replanting is necessary, I now have over 20 sprouts started in the office.

Spinach I planted is starting to sprout, also. Be cool if I could get it growing and sell some of it. Saw baby spinach in the store at $3 for 5 oz!

I'm not the only one suffering a setback from the temps rising and then dropping. Peach farmers were on the news and said their trees lost all the buds they had formed. So they may have little or no peach harvest this year. Least my situation isn't quite that dire. Feel bad for them, as it's their living.

Have to get to the library in a couple of hours. Send the rest of the immunization records. Then I still need to find out the exact address of the clinic I'll be working at. Know the general location but not exact building. The bus will get me there with a fairly narrow window. Going to be back to getting up before 5 AM again. Not too bad. Even riding the bus, I'll be back home with lots of sunshine left. Enough time to water, weed and relax. Have to keep the battery charged up so I won't have to use the generator in the morning. Battery will power everything the generator does for several hours or just lights for several mornings. I may be able to get up to 8 hours of lights before recharging, maybe more. Have to test the capacity sometime soon.

The ex may not be fond of it but I'm going to go forward with the solar thing within the next month or two. With the capacity I've seen from one standard battery, I figure one solar panel and two deep discharge batteries will power the things I've been using. With no exhaust. I can keep the generator as backup. Though I need to get the lawyer paid soon. May see if any partial shifts are available in ER on Fri nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment